Voting

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ear Infections be gone!

Sophie had a minor surgery this morning to place tubes in her ears. They will help fluid drain externally from her ears rather than become infected repeatedly! She has had one ear infection after another since the end of December and we are so ready to be done with that! None of the oral antibiotics work for her and so the last two infections have been treated with a series of three shots of a strong antibiotic- and that hasn't even been working. She's had fluid in her ears for almost four months now so because we don't want her to suffer hearing loss and speech problems and also because antibiotics aren't working we decided to do the tubes. A couple nights before her surgery I dreamed that her pediatrician came to our house and we were hugging and crying because we weren't going to be seeing each other as often as we have after the tubes! I thought that was funny that I dreamt that because we have had to take Sophie in to see a doctor around 18-20 times since Christmas!!!
Her surgery was at Southtowne Surgery Center where I've worked for years and so I felt confident about her procedure as it's considered minor and routine, but the night before I couldn't help getting nervous for her to go under general anesthesia! Darren was at work the night before and I knew he would just barely make it to the surgery center before she went back and wouldn't have time to give her a blessing. So I called my Dad and he agreed to give her one in the morning (5:30 am) when I dropped off Gavin. I was so grateful for that priesthood blessing. It did so much to put me at ease and my Dad said he could sense her angelic spirit.
It is different being on the other side of patient care and is always a good reminder for me as a nurse to remember how stressful even the most minor surgeries can be to patients and their families. The procedure and recovery went smoothly. All my good friends at Southtowne "rolled out the red carpet" and treated us like family. When we got home we all slept for a few hours and Sophie took another 3 hour nap that afternoon too. When she woke up she seemed to be feeling a lot better and had fun outside with Gavin and the neighbor girls. I'm glad it's done and looking forward to getting some sleep at night again.
Kylie and Gavin
Gav, Soph, Alyssa, and Kylie
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Coleen Ure said...

Seth and I had a good laugh about your dream, you have definately earned a break from your dr! :) And some sleep...

Darcie said...

Your dream is so funny. You can really tell you are stressed about situations when you have dreams like that. I hope the tubes help. I bet it was nice to have it done at South Towne.